Re: Oil Filter Adapter.

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Filter Adapter.
From: Phil Johnson <gt6_man@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 02:08:11 -0700 (PDT)
Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net> wrote:

> Here is what I discovered:
>
> I obtained a Rover UNIPART 1xGFE 150 filter and proceeded to change
the
> oil.  I removed the NAPA Gold 1374 filter and started to install the
> UNIPART one.  To my amazement, the hole in the filter was smaller than
> the one in the NAPA one.  On further examination, I realized the
threads
> were the same as the part of the adapter that screwed into the block.

I can only add what I have found, and not completely answer the
question:

Early Spitfires (Mk1/2/3)and Heralds used to specify a filter that was
of the type made by Teclamit that had an integral male thread on it
that screwed into the block (shown in the factory workshop manual for
Spitfires 1-3, Herald 1200/1250 and Vitesse, in some of the engine
shots pg 1.116, 1.109, 1.137 etc. It is recognisable as being very
large. Most if not all aftermarket filters used to have a female
thread, and so some aftermarket filters used to be supplied with a
short oil filter adapter to allow them to be fitted to cars like ours
that did not necesarily have a male thread to screw onto.

Different filter manufacturers supplied different adapters. The larger
threaded one that Joe mentions allows the use of a different filter, a
GFE180 I believe. It is the same thread as six cylinder spin off
filter conversion adapter. Over the years, many filters now stopped
supplying the adapter.

The 'proper' adapter should have the same thread both sides, and is
listed by Rimmers as part number 12G2518.

Hope that this helps explain some of the reasons.

==
Phil Johnson
Club Triumph (UK) Spitfire/GT6 Secretary
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/

66 Spitfire4 Mk2 FC73949
68 GT6 Mk1 KC13299