RE: Alternator Conversion

To: "'Jjcousins@ra.rockwell.com'" <Jjcousins@ra.rockwell.com>,
Subject: RE: Alternator Conversion
From: Mark Sinclair <msinclair@dis-inc.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 07:55:36 -0700
You can probably make it home provided you travel during daylight. Don't
use the lights or any other electrical accessories more than absolutely
necessary (minimal use of indicators and of course brake lights is OK).
When I had the same problem I found I could get 5 days to a week of daytime
running between battery charges. The temperature gauge makes a good battery
charge indicator when the alternator/generator goes out. If it starts to
head toward zero then it's time to get off the road.
Also - when I brought the 2-wire GM alternator with plans to fit it to my
64 Spit I found that it's not a straight fit. It will need a special
bracket which I have not yet got around to fabricating - one of these days
though.
Maybe someone else on the list knows of a different alternator which is a
direct swap - also, mine has the generator which may have a different
mounting system which might be the cause of my problem.

Good luck.
Mark Sinclair
64 Spitfire