Re: done and driving....

To: <Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: done and driving....
From: "Moorse,Jeffrey" <jeff.moorse@ABBOTT.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:35:50 -0500
I, too, just finished an engine rebuild this week.  The car is a Porsch=
e 914,
but the break-in info should be the same.  My reference is the book How=
Rebuild Your  Air-Cooled VW Engine.  The break-in info is, in my
paraphrasing:

1. When the engine first starts, run it at 2,000 RPM for 20 minutes to =
get
oil pressure up and keep everything lubed while it wears in.
2. Drive it for about 25 miles.  During this drive, accelerate at 3/4
throttle from 20-50 mph and then close the throttle and let the engine =
brake
the car.  Repeat 5 times.  This helps shape the rings to better seal bo=
th
positive and negative pressure.
3. Change the now-dirty oil and adjust the now-seated valves.
4. After 300 miles, repeat step 3.

During all of this, check often for leaks, especially fuel, and for loo=
se
fasteners.  Also, I believe you need to re-torque the head bolts at som=
point.

I hope this helps.

Jeff Moorse
1974 Spitfire