Re: GT-6 engine in Spitfire

To: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Subject: Re: GT-6 engine in Spitfire
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 07:28:03 -0700
>Ok what would it take to fit a GT-6 engine into a spit without changing the
>bonnet.  I know stock it won't fit.
Nope, sorry.  There is really no simple, easy way to fit it in without the
bulge.  I'm SURE that if the factory could have, they would have.  Saves a
whole lotta money on new tooling, inventory and such.  I actually like the
bulge myself though (I have one on mine, wasn't necessary for the original
swap but when it was backed into in '87 I found one at a reasonable cost so
I opted for it).  It's not just the thermostat housing, but the valve cover
and the two extra cylinders.  You *might* be able to use the front engine
plate from the spitfire, effectively shoving the engine far enough back,
but then you would probably have to modify the frame for tranny clearance,
(not to mention where that would put the shift lever) plus the firewall
area would have to be *relieved* in some way (no heater?) for the extra two
cylinders.  You would surely have to make some changes to the sheet metal
around the tranny hump etc.  In the end it would be much to much work,
probably easier to swap something else :-)

2 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (someday soon back on the road)