Re: GT-6 engine in Spitfire

To: "Bowen, Patrick A. RP2" <jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: GT-6 engine in Spitfire
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:17:22 -0700
Bowen, Patrick A. RP2 wrote:

> Ok what would it take to fit a GT-6 engine into a spit without changing the
> bonnet.  I know stock it won't fit.
>
> But I was thinking there has to be a way.  Is it possible to redesign the
> thermostat housing, what about the valve cover,  carburretors.  Could the
> engine be sat farther back, maybe lower it some on its mounts (might have
> to redesign an oil pan)  I really want to add some gusto to my spit
> (fastest looking car on the road, but yet a Geo can out run me)  But I
> really like the Spit hood and not the GT-6's.  I was thinking that keeping
> it with another Triumph engine would be the easiest way.  Thinking a V-6
> conversion would cost too much.  Thoughts? comments? laughter?
> Patrick Bowen
> '79 Spitfire
> Jacksonville FL

Drop in a blown V8, drive around with the bonnet off
and call it a 'spit bucket' ;-)

Seriously, I think Barry is right that the factory would have done
it if it was practical. If your willing to go to a non triumph
engine, you might find something with similar power to a gt6
that will fit. It looks like an RX7 will go in without
the bulge.  Most of the 4 bangers I would want to put in are
OHC or DOHC which tends to make them taller. If my DOHC
nissan ends up in a Spit, it will probably get a custom
oil pan and a bulge or scoop. I've looked at the 300zx motor,
which doesn't have the length problems of an inline, but
I think you'd still have trouble with the throttle body or carb.
Maybe oil pan modifications would be enough.

But after riding in my friends 510 with that motor in it, I think
I could stand putting a hood scoop on my spit ;-)

I don't think the cost of switching to a non-triumph engine is that
much more (though some will say you have to sell your soul).
If you switch to a common, more recent motor, you get the advantage of
easy to find, cheap parts at the junk yard. The swap in mine (which isn't
much of a performance upgrade) only required a custom driveshaft and
motor mounts.

With a 79 spit, you might have problems with emmisions laws if you do ANY
engine swap.

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com