Re: Door Handle replacement

To: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Door Handle replacement
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 11:34:03 -0400 ()
On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, john donohoe wrote:

> How in heaven's name do you replace the inside door handles or window
> cranks on a '70 GT6+?...
> Is there a tool or trick to getting that bitty pin through the handle
> with the spring and escutcheon in place??

John, basically it's a pain in the b*tt job requiring three hands. I've
struggled to do it with one hand pressing as hard as possible on the
escutcheon, one trying to keep the holes in the handle aligned with those
on the post, and one trying to manoeuver the thinnest pair of pliers I
have holding the pin and trying to get it in place.

> Does the escutcheon hold that little pin in place? It seems rather
> loose--I'd hate for it to fall out with the effort I've put in
> attempting to install it!

Right. Assuming you DID finally get the pin in, the escutcheon, aided by
the spring behind it and other supernatural forces, will hold the pin in
place.

> Help! My wife and kids would like to be able to let themselves out,
> instead of me opening the door for them from outside!

What, they don't appreciate the "child safety lock" feature of your car?
;-)

--Andy