sagging spit

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: sagging spit
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:53:15 -0700
Hello all,
        My spit (hybrid 68-74, powered by datsun 210 5spd) has the Driver Side
List Disorder. For a while I thought my frame was bent, since I had swapped
my spring for one a friend gave me, and it still leaned the same way. But
now I'm pretty much conviced is the spring(s), since if I jack it up by
the back crossmember and let it down, it rides high for a little while
and slowly settles. It also has significant negative (thats with the bottoms
of the wheels sticking out right ?) camber (more on the driver side).
        So what I'm wondering is do I have any choices for replacement
springs ? Is re-arched OK, is it better to go with a new one ?
Has any expirmented with using another kind of leaf spring (which a custom
mounting bracket, of course)
        Is it difficult/worthwhile to transfer a later GT6 style rear
suspension (assuming you found one) ? This car will eventually
get a later model Nissan motor, and having a beefier rear sounds
like a good idea.

Thanks in advance, and happy spiting!

Oh BTW, I checked out Charlie Browns (!) article about fitting
'vet shocks, (http://www.vtr.org/maintain/airshocks-spitfire.html) which
sounds like a worthwhile mod, but I think my spring is so far gone
replacement is in order.

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com