Spitfire Oil "Drain-Down"

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Oil "Drain-Down"
From: Pat B <sailnbail@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:08:15 -0400
I am experiencing a problem with my 74 Spitfire which I cannnot seem to
figrue out.  It takes about 10 seconds after initial startup for the oil
pressure to build to an acceptable level. This level is about 95 psi
after the initial "dry" start.  I rebuilt the engine. I am not aware of
a check valve in the oil system.  Perhaps somebody may know what I may
have missed or what may have failed.

Second Question:  What is the best sealing method for the oil pan?  I
have used Permatex Red, but have found that it sets prior to getting all
16 oil pan bolts secrued. Do the paper/cork gaskets seal well enough to
prevent leaks?  Please let me know what your best practices are? Thanks!