Re: GT6 originality: front spoiler?

To: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: GT6 originality: front spoiler?
From: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 07:36:48 -0400
Hello all,

Somewhere I missed the first part of this thread. No, the
spoiler was not original to the GT6 MK3. Nor was it original
on the '73-4 Spitfire. It was introduced when the 1500 engine
went into all Spits.

I have the spoiler on my car, because of an interesting turn
of events. The DPO of my car had parked the car against a
kerb, but the kerb had one of the retaining pins extending up
past the top of the kerb. When I bought the car, the front
number plate was taped in place, and the valence was badly
dented. When I decided to replace the valence, I found that
the valence cost about the same price as the spoiler, but
would need to be painted to match the car. That was when my
Scottish heritage kicked in, and I decided that I could save
some money by buying and installing the spoiler instead of
the valence. That was in 1975 or '76, and I know that those
are some of the parts that I no longer have for the car.

--
Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net