Re: The Trouble With Trunnions

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>, Neil Penberthy <neil@liant.com>
Subject: Re: The Trouble With Trunnions
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 19:20:12 -0400
At 02:17 PM 4/17/98 +0000, James wrote:
>I definatly agree, you should always use oil where the book says use
>oil, and grees where it says use greese.  You don't put greese in your
>gearbox or engin do you?

Hey guys, I DIDN'T mean to start the grease vs. oil in trunnions thread again!

>They say oil, because it thin, and actualt lubricates the trunion,
>trunions are designed to hold oil in the bottom, when you don't put oil
>in there they wear.  When you put greese in there like my DPO, it forms
>a plug to stop anymore oil going down,  when you oil your trunions your
>topping up a pool of oil, when you put greese in there it dosent go all
>the way down, and stays at the top, not lubricating at all.

Modern greases (like the Synthetic that I use) don't harden like the stuff
that was available when Spitfires and Heralds were designed.  One guy on
the Lotus List says he has been using grease on his Europa trunnions for 30
years (same parts as a GT6) .   He replaced the trunnions once in that
time, but found no wear.   He is an avid autocrosser so his car is not a
trailer queen.

After seeing both sides of this argument several times on not only the
Triumph list(s) and the Lotus list, all I will say is, whatever your
lubrication beliefs, DO IT on a regular basis!  And make sure that whatever
you apply oozes out the top seals to assure that the trunnions are full.

Thank you. <small bow>

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire,  with no sqeaky joints.