Re: The Trouble With Trunnions

To: carbuff@scooter.net
Subject: Re: The Trouble With Trunnions
From: "Neil Penberthy" <neil@liant.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 16:05:23 -0500
Atwell

IMHO you should always use gear oil in your trunioins. If anyone told you
otherwise they are WRONG.

I made the aquaintance of one of the SC chassis engineers while
living in the UK. He confirmed that the correct lubricant is gear
oil.

I have also seen the results of greasing trunions - they will fail.
This is an accident waiting to happen. Because of the danger involved
and the wide spread confusion about this I always have changed the
trunions on every Spitfire I've bought as I don't trust DPOs....

I strongly recommend that you replace your trunions and use gear oil
ASAP. A friend of mine was nearly killed in an accident caused by a
DPO using grease in his Spitfire's trunions.

Regards

Neil
Neil Penberthy
Liant Software