Re: The Trouble With Trunnions

To: Neil Penberthy <neil@liant.com>
Subject: Re: The Trouble With Trunnions
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 14:17:10 +0000
I definatly agree, you should always use oil where the book says use
oil, and grees where it says use greese.  You don't put greese in your
gearbox or engin do you?

They say oil, because it thin, and actualt lubricates the trunion,
trunions are designed to hold oil in the bottom, when you don't put oil
in there they wear.  When you put greese in there like my DPO, it forms
a plug to stop anymore oil going down,  when you oil your trunions your
topping up a pool of oil, when you put greese in there it dosent go all
the way down, and stays at the top, not lubricating at all.

So you need to atleast cleanout, and inspect you old trunions, if not
replace them, clean out the vertical link, you don't want greese in that
getting in to you clean oiled trunions.  Check that you have the correct
opersite threads, buy yourself a workshop manual, and read it!

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot