Re: [Shop-talk] Stranded by a bad car battery.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Stranded by a bad car battery.
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 08:46:50 -0800

--------------pC5DM2EFVK8RjqbBX9NiMuZP

I have 4 cars and a truck, two old tractors, a quad, a Gator and a
riding lawnmower; I spend quite a bit of time dealing with batteries and
electrical systems. Modern batteries, say, those built in the last 20
years or so, aren't generally built to last. Most of them are made by
only a couple of companies, Johnson Controls being the largest, and most
are now constructed in Mexico (I use a shop owned by a Hispanic man to
rebuild my Britcar batteries and starters, and he told me Mexican
batteries are 'crap;' he used to recommend Optima, but they were bought
by JC (I think) and he quit recommending them). My '08 Mustang GT had
two batteries die, with no warning, at almost exactly 3 years; both were
'Motorcraft' brand, but if you look close you could see 'Johnson
Controls.' Besides failing with no warning, which I attribute to
internal shorting as someone suggested, I have lots of issues with
leaking, causing the terminals to corrode and a mess in your engine
compartment. I think the poor quality is due to thinner lead plates--a
rule-of-thumb I use is the heavier the battery the better the
battery--and cases are flimsier and they just don't bother to get good
seals around the terminals. I shudder to think of what the Mexican
battery factories look like.

The one battery brand that makes consistently good batteries is Deka,
built by East Penn manufacturing in Pennsylvania (NFI). They source some
of the common brands, like Duracell I think, and they seem to last. But,
be careful, Napa, for instance, claims to get theirs from East Penn, but
I bought one for my '19 Mustang the other day--yep, the OEM 'Motorcraft'
leaked at 4 years, and I had to pull the whole box to clean it up--and
the Napa had a 'Made in Korea' sticker on it; I'm not sure what to think
(there is a Deka dealer on the far side of town; next time I make the
drive). For the non-autos, I bought deep-cycle and starting
batteries--both SLA--off Amazon with the brand 'Weizen;' they were among
the cheapest but both have performed well and held up. I bought an 'X2
Power' AGM for one of the Healeys and it's been nails for over 6 years.

Some of my vehicles have to sit for long periods; if so, I put them on a
'smart' charger (I like BatteryMinder, I've heard good things about
BatteryTender). These will not only keep your battery topped-up without
overcharging, but claim to perform a 'desulfation' cycle periodically,
which I believe involves pulsing the battery with a higher voltage (I
got one specifically for AGMs for the Healey battery; at $300+ I want it
to last and not fail in the middle of nowhere).

To answer OPs question, most dealers and shops these days use a battery
tester in lieu of a load tester; they give a lot more info. I bought an
even cheaper version of this one, but this one looks to have good
quality clamps:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z67MMGC/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3EMYY4GBP2W2D&psc=1

Bob

On 1/10/2024 5:19 AM, Ronnie Day wrote:
> [...]
> indication that it was on the way out before it quit, and due to the
> battery location it's not easy to use a load tester to check it. As
> you discovered it's risky to sit and listen to the radio without the
> motor running. Been there...!
>
> As nice a vehicle as the Odyssey is, IMO it's too maintenance critical
> much beyond 100K. At least Honda uses a larger 24F battery in it
> instead of the smaller batteries we had in our Accords.  It draws a
> LOT of power. The vehicle is basically a computer with wheels and a
> motor, seriously! And you have to be careful with maintenance on that
> motor. If you go past the 105K timing belt replacement recommendation,
> there's a very real risk of lunching the motor due to a broken belt.
> The cylinder deactivation setup, designed and included primarily to
> get that V-6 through the required emissions period from new, is known
> to probably cause excessive oil consumption on engines much past the
> 105K unless it's deactivated. Honda dealers get around $2500 to do the
> timing belt service, and then get another $500 to swap in new spark
> plugs! I also feel the vehicle is relatively hard on tires, even
> though I religiously have the tires rotated every 5K and keep a close
> eye on the air pressure.
>
> We bought the Odyssey instead of a CR-V for a couple reasons, but we
> haven't really needed the extra seats as often as we did when our
> grandkids were younger. Next summer we're planning to buy a used Civic
> (manual trans) or a Mazda 3 (manual or A/T) for use when it's just the
> two of us. I don't like CVTs, Mazda doesn't use them at all. Either
> car gets far better mileage than the low/mid 20s we get with the
> Odyssey, and this will extend the useful life of the Odyssey considerably.
>
> This info may not help other than to let you know your
> experience isn't unusual.
>
> RD
>

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 12:54â?¯AM Dwade Reinsch <dreinsch@swbell.net>
> wrote:
>
>     This afternoon I was sitting in the 2016 Honda Odyssey van waiting
>     for granddaughter to finish a theater activity and I went to sleep
>     in the front seat. Had the radio and inside lights on.  When she
>     finished and came out, car would not start.  Completely dead.
>     Electric seat would not come back to driving position, etc.
>
>     Here's the question:  In the old days a weak battery would give
>     notice by cranking slowly, etc., before failing.  This is the car
>     I drive regularly and it gave NO warning.  Luckily, I could call
>     son-in-law and he came to help.  Would not start with good set of
>     booster cables.  Would not start with 15 minutes of charging on
>     cables before attempting to start.  So in the morning I'll take
>     pickup and tools and pull battery, get a replacement, and move the
>     van home.
>
>     Does anyone have a suggestion for identifying a failing battery
>     before being stranded? (Battery is about 4 years old.)

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
[...]
    look like.<br>
    The one battery brand that makes consistently good batteries is
    Deka, built by East Penn manufacturing in Pennsylvania (NFI). They
    source some of the common brands, like Duracell I think, and they
    seem to last. But, be careful, Napa, for instance, claims to get
    theirs from East Penn, but I bought one for my '19 Mustang the other
    day--yep, the OEM 'Motorcraft' leaked at 4 years, and I had to pull
    the whole box to clean it up--and the Napa had a 'Made in Korea'
    sticker on it; I'm not sure what to think (there is a Deka dealer on
    the far side of town; next time I make the drive). For the
    non-autos, I bought deep-cycle and starting batteries--both SLA--off
    Amazon with the brand 'Weizen;' they were among the cheapest but
    both have performed well and held up. I bought an 'X2 Power' AGM for
    one of the Healeys and it's been nails for over 6 years.<br>
    Some of my vehicles have to sit for long periods; if so, I put them
    on a 'smart' charger (I like BatteryMinder, I've heard good things
    about BatteryTender). These will not only keep your battery
    topped-up without overcharging, but claim to perform a 'desulfation'
    cycle periodically, which I believe involves pulsing the battery
    with a higher voltage (I got one specifically for AGMs for the
    Healey battery; at $300+ I want it to last and not fail in the
    middle of nowhere).<br>
    To answer OPs question, most dealers and shops these days use a
    battery tester in lieu of a load tester; they give a lot more info.
    I bought an even cheaper version of this one, but this one looks to
    have good quality clamps:<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z67MMGC/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3EMYY4GBP2W2D&amp;psc=1";>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z67MMGC/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3EMYY4GBP2W2D&amp;psc=1</a><br>
    Bob<br>
cite="mid:CAMHhs6fLVy=O9pWSEFkOZVS9xp4SYWrFN8XuYqgnJ6wq_nq6gQ@mail.gmail.com">
[...]
          5K and keep a close eye on the air pressure.</div>
          reasons, but we haven't really needed the extra seats as often
          as we did when our grandkids were younger. Next summer we're
          planning to buy a used Civic (manual trans) or a Mazda 3
          (manual or A/T) for use when it's just the two of us. I don't
          like CVTs, Mazda doesn't use them at all. Either car gets far
          better mileage than the low/mid 20s we get with the Odyssey,
          and this will extend the useful life of the Odyssey
          considerably.</div>
          experience isn't unusual. <br>
          RD</div>
          12:54â?¯AM Dwade Reinsch &lt;<a
            href="mailto:dreinsch@swbell.net"; moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">dreinsch@swbell.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
style="font-family:&quot;Helvetica
Neue&quot;,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
                Honda Odyssey van waiting for granddaughter to finish a
                theater activity and I went to sleep in the front seat.
                Had the radio and inside lights on.  When she finished
                and came out, car would not start.  Completely dead.
                Electric seat would not come back to driving position,
                etc.</div>
                weak battery would give notice by cranking slowly, etc.,
                before failing.  This is the car I drive regularly and
                it gave NO warning.  Luckily, I could call son-in-law
                and he came to help.  Would not start with good set of
                booster cables.  Would not start with 15 minutes of
                charging on cables before attempting to start.  So in
                the morning I'll take pickup and tools and pull battery,
                get a replacement, and move the van home.</div>
                identifying a failing battery before being stranded?
                (Battery is about 4 years old.)</div>

--------------pC5DM2EFVK8RjqbBX9NiMuZP--

--===============2517980201860623818==

--===============2517980201860623818==--