[Shop-talk] Troubleshooting a fluttering gas oven

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Troubleshooting a fluttering gas oven
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 14:28:51 -0400
I have a Magic Chef gas range and occasionally the oven will "flutter" and take
a long time to come up to temp. I bought a clamp ammeter and tested the igniter
current and it's at 2.9 - 3.0 amps, right where it should be. Of course there
was no fluttering during this test :-)

Is it possible for these things to fail intermittently or are they pretty
steady even as they're going bad?

Not to introduce a red herring but sometimes I hear similar fluttering from the
water heater, and sometimes the stovetop burners won't light, and sometimes
their flame sounds like it has extra pressure, or another non-reactive gas in
it because they make jet noises.

This is a rental and I'm on good terms with the landlord and her dog is dying
so I don't want to burden her with petty things if there's nothing really
wrong, but I also don't want my roasts to not cook or the house to blow up.

thanks,
jim