Re: [Shop-talk] Silicone brake fluid

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Silicone brake fluid
From: Eric Russell via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 11:46:05 -0400
X_cmae_category: , , a=I0wsP0/ub+0M/VQyKFHlEA==:117 a=I0wsP0/ub+0M/VQyKFHlEA==:17 a=KGjhK52YXX0A:10 a=IkcTkHD0fZMA:10 a=sTwFKg_x9MkA:10 a=KlU2pWyFyn8A:10 a=eQrCS-SpgXYA:10 a=ZSrH_Vmvdt1vjmrYKqcA:9 a=P5w1wxguxox7acUs:21 a=_1kOkm6_WMiG9EEb:21 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10
I would clean them out. It may not be required but now would be the best
& (only?) opportunity.

Alternatively, suggest the use of DOT 4. It is 'regular' brake fluid
(even though the label on the can will likely say "synthetic") with a
higher boiling point than DOT 3. And it'd be totally compatible with DOT 3.

DOT 5 (true silicone) has two advantages. 1) it won't eat at paint if
spilled/leaked and B) it doesn't absorb H2O. However it is more
expensive and, despite not absorbing water it should still be flushed
every few years. And if it is spilled/leaked will make repainting
problematic. (I've heard some painters won't touch a car that has been
'contaminated' with silicone). Since DOT 4 is not expensive, regular
flushing every few years is not so dear. And DOT 4 is readily available
should one need a supply while away from home. May not be true with DOT 5.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC