Re: [Shop-talk] Silicone brake fluid

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Silicone brake fluid
From: Bob Spidell via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 08:33:27 -0700

--------------A0F62A4434767CEBE1654166

Agree.  Usually, the recommended solvent is denatured alcohol (ethanol
spiked with chemicals to make it undrinkable--well, you /could /drink
it, but you wouldn't be a happy camper).  I used it to flush my
Austin-Healey 3000's system decades ago and silicone has been in ever
since with no issues (that I could attribute to the DoT 5).

On 5/16/2020 8:16 AM, Karl Vacek via Shop-talk wrote:
> Yes, unfortunately you do.
>
> Every silicone conversion failure I've ever heard of (I even cheated
> on this process once and had a failure of my own) has involved
> contamination with conventional fluid.  Flush all hard lines with
> lacquer thinner or similar, all new rubber and hoses, only lubricate
> the rubber with silicone fluid.
>
> I'd be sure to soak the rubber you've already installed in some sort
> of solvent and even then say a prayer that the DOT 3 didn't get too
> far into the rubber.  Conventional fluid is alcohol based, so alcohol
> might be there way to soak the contaminated rubber, then dry well -
> like a day or more, maybe in warm conditions.
>
> Seems that DOT 3 or 4 gets way into the rubber and eventually reacts
> once it's in silicone fluid.  And then people blame the silicone fluid
> for eating their rubber parts and hoses.
>
> Karl
>
> On May 16, 2020 9:14:23 AM Robert Nogueirao via Shop-talk
> <shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:
>
>> Iâ??m helping a friend rebuild her brake system. All new lines and
>> hoses. Iâ??ve rebuilt the calipers, brake cylinders and master cylinder
>> and they are ready to install.
>> Hereâ??s the problem:
>> In rebuilding the cylinders I coated the bores lightly with red brake
>> grease and DOT 3
>> Fluid.  Now she tells me she may want to go with Silicone fluid.
>> Does that mean I need to disassemble and wash out all the cylinders
>> and calipers?
>> Thanks for any answers.
>>
>> Bob Nogueira

--------------A0F62A4434767CEBE1654166

  <head>
  </head>
    Agree.  Usually, the recommended solvent is denatured alcohol
    (ethanol spiked with chemicals to make it undrinkable--well, you <i>could
    </i>drink it, but you wouldn't be a happy camper).  I used it to
    flush my Austin-Healey 3000's system decades ago and silicone has
    been in ever since with no issues (that I could attribute to the DoT
    5).<br>
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>

cite="mid:1721e0edcb0.28bf.cd27845553c78383775132770b7455be@gmail.com">Yes,
[...]
      <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"