Re: [Shop-talk] Silicone brake fluid

To: Robert Nogueirao <nogera@icloud.com>, "Shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Silicone brake fluid
From: Karl Vacek via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 10:16:30 -0500
Yes, unfortunately you do.

Every silicone conversion failure I've ever heard of (I even cheated on
this process once and had a failure of my own) has involved contamination
with conventional fluid.  Flush all hard lines with lacquer thinner or
similar, all new rubber and hoses, only lubricate the rubber with silicone
fluid.

I'd be sure to soak the rubber you've already installed in some sort of
solvent and even then say a prayer that the DOT 3 didn't get too far into
the rubber.  Conventional fluid is alcohol based, so alcohol might be there
way to soak the contaminated rubber, then dry well - like a day or more,
maybe in warm conditions.

Seems that DOT 3 or 4 gets way into the rubber and eventually reacts once
it's in silicone fluid.  And then people blame the silicone fluid for
eating their rubber parts and hoses.

Karl