[Shop-talk] Solenoid question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Solenoid question
From: "Matt" <mbarre@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 17:08:46 GMT
Full-name: "Matt" <mbarre@juno.com>
--===============4065020416540850504==

----__JWM__Jd26e9b8.1def2ee4S.64c28c6fM

 I have been resurrecting a jet ski this summer and rather than wear dow=
n the tiny battery, I was doing most of the cranking with power from my =
12 volt battery charger/starter set to the starting/225A setting.  It re=
ally turned it over much better than the puny battery.  Well, after a fe=
w days, the solenoid crapped out, so I scavenged one from another junked=
 ski and all was fine.  Recently I was to the point of a shake down crui=
se and I find another dead solenoid.  I guess it is possible that both o=
ld solenoids just happened to be at the end of their life but I wonder i=
s there some reason that starting from a powered source rather then a ba=
ttery would be detrimental to the relay/solenoid? The good news is that =
rather than pay the $70 the local watercraft dealer wanted, I googled th=
e PN stamped on the failed solenoid and found replacements on amazon & e=
bay for $6!  So now I have several new ones but don't want to kill them =
if the start cart is a bad idea. TIA!
----__JWM__Jd26e9b8.1def2ee4S.64c28c6fM

 down the tiny battery, I was doing most of the cranking with power from=
 my 12 volt battery charger/starter set to the starting/225A setting. &n=
bsp;It really turned it over much better than the puny battery. &nbsp;We=
ll, after a few days, the solenoid crapped out, so I scavenged one from =
another junked ski and all was fine. &nbsp;Recently I was to the point o=
f a shake down cruise and I find another dead solenoid. &nbsp;I guess it=
 is possible that both old solenoids just happened to be at the end of t=
heir life but I wonder is there some reason that starting from a powered=
 source rather then a battery would be detrimental to the relay/solenoid=
?</div>
dealer wanted, I googled the PN stamped on the failed solenoid and found=
 replacements on amazon &amp; ebay for $6! &nbsp;So now I have several n=
ew ones but don't want to kill them if the start cart is a bad idea.</di=
v>

--===============4065020416540850504==--