Re: [Shop-talk] Router question

To: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Router question
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 07:32:40 -0400
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net> wrote:
> What issues do I have by simply adding (or substituting?) my own WiFi-capable
> modem?

I have Charter as my ISP, and have used my own separate cable modem
and wireless router for years.  I've saved enough money to have paid
for them several times over... especially since my wireless was a
refurbished unit for $20.  (Modem was also refurbished, and around $60
when a new version was over $100.)

Just make sure your modem is DOCSIS compliant and you should be fine.
 It likely will be, but you can call Charter to make sure the
particular one you are thinking of using will be compatible.  I
believe DOCSIS 3.1 is the current standard, but mine is 3.0 and still
works well enough (and fast enough) for me.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.