Re: [Shop-talk] Router question

To: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>,shop-talk@autox.team.net DiJZhP60GW1/HTusiWK8/NufqFUcqEKIlbSQYRDMFA9ciLZ0FNt+G0/2pc2HQb87ueeFF/Kk3p2aKwtyldpb0Dnd7WnfE3uslxyPZaT+Gbb3tp2mJTCh2GcN
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Router question
From: Neil Sherry <neiljsherry@talktalk.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 09:35:03 +0100

------NROTQJYJUEANSX24X435YKTXHCJWG6

5USD a month is a rip-off - in this day and age wireless should be standard -
here in the uk it has been for 10 years.
Some routers can be used just as access points - assuming the old router has
LAN ports, disable DHCP on the old wireless router, assign an IP address to it
that is consistent with the numbering of new router (and does not conflict) and
just connect one of the LAN ports of the old router to one on the new router.
Worst case, if that doesn't work, just buy a separate wireless router/access
point

On 19 July 2016 00:00:32 BST, Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net> wrote:
>This is shop related because I'm looking to provide connectivity to my
>new barn.  Presently I have a DSL modem supplied by a slow DSL line,
>but the modem includes WiFi.  The location is relatively remote but
>better speeds are available from the local cable provider
>(Charter/Spectrum).  The cable provider indicates WiFi capability is
>available for an additional $5/month, which seems high to me.  What
>issues do I have by simply adding (or substituting?) my own
>WiFi-capable modem?
>Sent from my iPhone

------NROTQJYJUEANSX24X435YKTXHCJWG6
 charset=utf-8

wireless should be standard - here in the uk it has been for 10 years. <br>
Some routers can be used just as access points - assuming the old router has
LAN ports, disable DHCP on the old wireless router, assign an IP address to it
that is consistent with the numbering of new router (and does not conflict) and
just connect one of the LAN ports of the old router to one on the new router.
Worst case, if that doesn&#39;t work, just buy a separate wireless
BST, Jim Juhas &lt;james.f.juhas@snet.net&gt; wrote:<blockquote
class="gmail_quote" style="margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid
rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
<pre class="k9mail">This is shop related because I'm looking to provide
connectivity to my new barn.  Presently I have a DSL modem supplied by a slow
DSL line, but the modem includes WiFi.  The location is relatively remote but
better speeds are available from the local cable provider (Charter/Spectrum).
The cable provider indicates WiFi capability is available for an additional
$5/month, which seems high to me.  What issues do I have by simply adding (or
substituting?) my own WiFi-capable modem?<br />Sent from my iPhone<br /><hr
href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
/>Suggested annual donation  $12.96<br />Archive: <a
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a><br />Forums:
/>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/neiljsherry@talktalk.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/neiljsherry@talktalk.net</a><br
-- <br>
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my
brevity.</body></html>
------NROTQJYJUEANSX24X435YKTXHCJWG6--

--===============1972915109966196659==

--===============1972915109966196659==--