Re: [Shop-talk] Need a new multimeter

To: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Need a new multimeter
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 09:45:01 -0500
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net
On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com> wrote:
> I suspect my multimeter isn't 100%. The continuity test won't always alarm
> when I touch the probes, the needle doesn't sweep very well, etc. ,etc. I
> just put new batteries in it, so I'm thinking it might be the meter itself.
>
> So who likes their meter and what kind do you have? I'd like to be using
> this thing tomorrow, so ideally I can get a decent one from Radio Shack,
> Ace, etc., but if I really want a whatever I can only get online, I can wait
> a few days for it to be overnighted. I don't make a living with the thing,
> but I'd like to enjoy using it, as opposed to the one I have now which came
> from Home Depot (or Lowe's) and I always questioned.
>
> What does the hive mind say?

I've got a ~$20 extech one.  came with a type k thermocouple, works
fine, seems more likely to last past the first drop.

Whatever you buy, do yourself a favor and get a kit of probes.  It's
ncie to have ones with clips sometimes, it's nice to have a set that
are six feet long, it's nice to have plunger clips, but you don't want
to use any of these all the time.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com