Re: [Shop-talk] Need a new multimeter

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Need a new multimeter
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 23:29:41 -0400
On 10/30/2012 9:39 PM, Scott wrote:
> I suspect my multimeter isn't 100%. The continuity test won't always
>[snip]
> So who likes their meter and what kind do you have? I'd like to be using
> this thing tomorrow, so ideally I can get a decent one from Radio Shack,
> Ace, etc., but if I really want a whatever I can only get online, I can

If you need one ASAP, Harbor Freight has a little "CenTech" DVM that
sells for anywhere from free (literally, on sale with coupon)) to $10. I
have three of them. They're so cheap, I keep two @ work in different
locations so I don't have to bother carrying them around, and another at
home. All have been reliable for 5+ years. They're not auto-ranging, but
they do the job.

But... I've been an electronics geek for 30+ years since I was a kid,
and wanted something nicer. Specifically, one with capacitance
measurement for HVAC and motor start/run caps. Fluke is THE name in
meters; after using a friend's, decided I needed one too. Kinda like
Snap-On tools -- sure, Sears will loosen your bolts most the time but
the S.O. just feels better doing it. Same with Fluke.

Decided on either a Fluke 116 (HVAC tech's) or 117 (electrician's.)
Either is about $165 on Amazon. I went cheap, and after two weeks
watching Ebay, scored a used very clean 117 for only $70. Lots of nice
bells & whistles:  capacitance range, frequency reading on the AC & DC
voltage ranges, manual or auto-ranging, simulated analog bar-graph
display on the LCD, remote "point in the general direction" hot wire
detection, etc. And it feels solid as hell using it  :)

-Wayne