[Shop-talk] stripped screw hole in carb

Subject: [Shop-talk] stripped screw hole in carb
From: TR3driver at ca.rr.com (Randall)
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:52:36 -0700
> While a steel thread is stronger than soft
> metal threads, the joint itself can only be as strong as the
> weakest part; i.e. at some load the screw/bolt will pull
> the insert out of the brass or other soft metal.

No argument from me.  My point was just that the Helicoil approach results
in slightly stronger threads (more resistance to pull-out) than original;
while JB Weld isn't as strong as even the usual "pot metal" alloy used for
carbs.  The JB Weld will fail before the pot metal does; while the Helicoil
will come out intact.

-- Randall