Re: [Shop-talk] stripped screw hole in carb

To: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] stripped screw hole in carb
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 08:13:22 -0400
At 11:10 PM 6/19/2011, BJNoSHOV8 wrote:

 >Is it possible to drill the holes deeper and put threads farther
into the material?

 >Or 3. Just drill and tap the holes for the next larger bolt if there's enough
 >metal.

Thanks to all that replied.  The consensus seems to be to use the
helicoil, or go
to the next size up bolt.

Unfortunately, I don't know if there is enough metal there.  This is
on the outside
lip of the carb, with just a little ear where the bolts are.

At to  going deeper, good idea but won't work as these holes go
through the metal.  This is an old Zenith carb.

I do like the suggestion about taking it to a small engine repair
shop and let them
look at it and doing all 5 holes if I do the 3.

I might try that.  The shop may know better than I if there is enough meat left
to go the helicoil route.

While I'm out, I look for either the locktite or Permatex epoxies vis
just JB Weld.

Thanks again.

John