[Shop-talk] multimedia in the shop

Subject: [Shop-talk] multimedia in the shop
From: bk13 at earthlink.net (Brian Kemp)
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 07:57:45 -0700
Moose - I would not expect most people to be able to notice a difference
with speakers in a thin plastic bag.  I actually experienced it
yesterday at a show with my family.  It started to sprinkle, so they
pulled some trash bags over the speakers and I couldn't tell the
difference.   It was a kids oriented puppet and magic shows in an
outdoor noisy area, but I still don't think a plastic bag would change
much.  You could always just do a quick test with some bags over your
inside speakers.

[For people in the Los Angeles area with kids under about 10, see
www.adventurecity.com - a great deal without the crowds or expense of
the bigger parks.  On days like yesterday, you could often stay on the
ride over and over and over and over.]

For the projector, you could make a box frame and use furnace air
filters for most of the sides and bottom.  Use a glass panel for the
front.  That way you will have a dust resistant enclosure that still
circulates air.  If it doesn't have enough passive cooling, you could
add some fans to pull the air out.

On a note related to electronics in the garage, yesterday I read an
article in the March 2011 Popular Mechanics where they built a computer
in a rolling tool chest.  The computer was all sealed and the
components, including the power supply were all water cooled.  The only
thing exposed was a radiator.  They didn't give a total cost, but adding
up the components listed shows it to be over $2700 for just the computer
'box'.

Brian