Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a Door

To: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a Door
From: "David C." <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 19:09:41 -0800
I can second that.  A year or so ago I decided to get rid of one of the
garage doors on my shop building.  The shop is a wood framed metal clad
pole barn and the door was a 10 x 10 foot metal slider.   I framed in
the opening and left a rough opening for a pair of man doors, then had
the contractor that built it put siding on my framing job using the
metal from the old garage door plus some extra I had.  Then I went to an
architectural salvage place and got two matched exterior doors.  They
were mortised for hinges but that was all.  (They were also heavy as
hell.)  I had never hung a single door, let alone a double, but I didn't
know any better and so framed in the opening and got the doors hung.  By
myself.  HUGE PITA.  Took all of one day.  Just putting the doors up on
the hinge pins used up probably a years worth of swearing.  It turned
out OK.  Don't ask me to do it again.  (The original doors slid sideways
and were drafty as hell.  Birds could, and did, get in.  I replaced he
other one with a segmented roll up door that I was smart enough to
contract out.)

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums