Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a Door

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a Door
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 17:29:17 -0800
> 1: Do current building codes call for a fire-resistant door between a
> garage and the living area?  (The existing door dates from the 70's.)

The ones I'm familiar with do.

> 2: The doors I see at HD, etc. are all pre-hung.  Do you think it
> would make more sense to discard the frame that comes with the door
> (or maybe order a non-hung version) and fix the door to the existing
> frame, or rip out the existing frame and use the new one?  One
> downside of ripping out the old frame is that I would have to re-do
> the surrounding trim.

IIRC fire doors are approved as a unit with their frame and seal.
You're also required to have a self-closing hinge.

I'd certainly change the whole assembly, you'll spend a very long time
trying to true up a new door in that old frame even if you weren't
concerned about code (and my guess is your homeowners insurer would
prefer that you were.)

John.

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums