Re: [Shop-talk] Miter saw or compound miter saw

To: Kyle Werner <kmwerner@gmail.com>, David Lieb <72spridget@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Miter saw or compound miter saw
From: <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 16:49:55 -0400
A non-sliding saw is limited by the diameter of the blade and the angle of the
cut.  If you are cutting perpendicular to a board, you could cut a certain
width of 1" board, or you could cut a certain size of square board.  If you
angle the cut it reduces your capacity.  You can always cut halfway through,
flip the piece over and cut the other halfway through but this reduces your
precision and can get more difficult if you are cutting a miter.  If you want
to cut larger, you need a bigger diameter blade, OR you need a sliding saw.  I
don't think a good sliding saw affects accuracy that much, a poor sliding saw
might.  It just depends on what you need.

You should pick a saw based on what size you want to cut or think you want to
cut.  If you think you will plan for the worst case then you will have to buy
the sliding saw because you can always visualize the need to sometime cut
something wide.  BUT the bigger the saw, the heavier the saw, and they can get
heavy in a hurry.  If you need to carry it around, you don't want any bigger
saw than you need.

I wanted the DeWalt sliding saw, but it is more expensive than I could justify
and also it is pretty darned heavy.  I didn't have an immediate need so I gave
up on that desire.  The next time I have a real job that I need a saw for, then
I'll start shopping again and buy one, maybe just big enough for that job.

I have a table saw right now, if I had a big sliding saw I probably wouldn't
have much need for the table saw anymore but a smaller saw would not replace
the table saw nearly as easily.

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums