Re: [Shop-talk] Lawn mower engine & blade question

To: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lawn mower engine & blade question
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 15:35:14 -0400
On 7/16/2010 5:57 PM, Wayne wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I have a simple MTD push lawn mower (that I use to mow around my shop)
> with a B&S engine and 22" blade.  Today I nailed a small tree stump
> with it.  Usually you just "graze" things and it somehow survives when
> you lift off it.  Not this time.  The engine stopped instantly.  The
> tip of the blade, about 3" back, is bent 90 degrees downward!
>
> Is there any chance I damaged the engine?  Is it ok to start it with
> the blade off, just to see if it runs ok?  (don't know if it depends
> on the blade as a flywheel, or needs it as a load.)
>
> -Thanks, Wayne
I would say the engine is hosed.  I suspect the MTD is the low end B&S
engine.  And my experience is hitting anything that would bend the blade
will ruin the engine.

As others have mentioned, the engine won't run without the blade to act
as a fly wheel.  I can confirm this.  Also, best to buy a new blade;
they are cheap.  If the engine survived an unbalanced blade with kill
engine pretty quick.

I had a high end Craftsman mower, relabeled Husquavarnia model, with an
easy start B&S mower.  First year I hit a tree old tree stump, barely
damaged the blade but ruined the engine. Was able to finish the season
but it did not run correctly and could not start the next season.  I
believe the aluminum bore was damaged.  I replaced the engine with same
model and hit a rock one of the kids left in the lawn.  Hosed the second
engine even worse, would not start at all.  Third engine I was a B&S
Intec engine, the bore has a cast iron sleeve.  Still hit the occasional
rock but no damage.

Just my opinion but if anyone buys a mower with a B&S engine, make sure
it has a cast iron sleeved bore.

Peter T.