Re: [Shop-talk] Lawn mower engine & blade question

To: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lawn mower engine & blade question
From: Ben Zwissler <bjzwissler@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 19:30:51 -0400
Yes, there's a good chance you damaged the engine.  You could start it
without the blade, but it may not run normally.  May vibrate more and
the governor may not keep it stable.  I'd put another blade on it.
Likely you've at least sheared a key in the flywheel. If so, it won't
start or will start but run badly.  Good news, its a cheap part and not
hard to replace.   Pull the metal starter/fan shroud off the top of the
mower and then pull the flywheel.  Remove bent key, put in new key.

Worst case, I had a neighbor who hit one of those metal, twist-in dog
stakes with his mower.  It caused the lower crank bearing to leak oil
badly.  Bent the crank, cracked the block or something.  Then its time
for a new mower or motor.

Good luck.  Ben......

Ben Zwissler
bjzwissler@gmail.com