Re: [Shop-talk] Shop heating options

To: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop heating options
From: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 10:58:04 -0400
Ron, when you do decide to build let me know and I'll send you the
info on the company that built mine.  I'm extremely happy with the
overall package (other than insulation that is).

Ron, John, Wayne and Tim,

Thanks for replying.

There are two garage doors located on the gable ends.  One is 10' x
11' and the other a 9' x 7' door.  There is an entry door next to each
of the overhead doors.  No windows in the building although sometime
down the road I may add some windows on the east and west walls (long
walls) to provide light.

As everyone stated I should have posted where I live and temps.  We
live in Richmond Kentucky which is about 90 miles due south of
Cincinnati.  This past winter was our second winter here (first with
the shop).  For temperatures this past winter we had several weeks
straight in single digits and then a month or more where temps were in
the teens and twenties.  The rest of the time temps were probably in
mid 30s to mid 40s.  Temperatures (air temps) in the shop were
typically low to mid 30s during most of the winter with the floor temp
getting no colder than about 30 to 31 degrees even during the coldest
periods (verified with a laser temp gauge).

Using a small 1500 watt portable heater I was able to work in specific
spots without to much discomfort.

As mentioned any sort of gas is not an option so its electricity or
nothing.  At this point in time I don't really want to add more
insulation either.  Down the road if no suitable heating option works
out then adding insulation may happen but certainly not for the next
few years or more.

One reason I'm interested in the Infrared variety of heater is because
its my understanding you don't necessarily have to leave the heat on
24/7 (even at reduced setting).  I will likely turn the heat on prior
to actually starting any kind of work but leaving it on 24/7 probably
won't happen either.

My main goal is to knock the chill out of the air prior to and during
work periods.  If on the coldest days it's still too cold then I'll
find something else to do in the house :)

Brad

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums