Re: [Shop-talk] Shop heating options

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop heating options
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 10:01:22 -0400
At 09:07 AM 6/9/2010, Brad Kahler wrote:

 >Yeah I know its summer but for me its time to start thinking about
 >how to heat the new shop.....

 >Occupancy will just be a few hours per evening during the week and various
 >hours on weekends.

Brad,

For starters you don't mention where you're located, or how cold it gets where
you live in the winter.  Heating when outside temps are in the 40s is
a lot different than if it's -5 deg F.

 >The choices that I'm aware of are gas or electric furnace, overhead gas or
 >electric infrared heaters, portable or free standing gas or
electric infrared
 >heaters and the old standby bullet or torpedo propane heaters.

 >I have no desire to use a torpedo style heater so thats out.  Even
though they
 >are cheaper to operate my preference is to NOT use anything that
uses natural
 >gas (not available anyway) or propane.  So Ive narrowed it to  some sort of
 >electric heat.

I don't know what your aversion is to Propane or NG.  Is it the open flame?

Yes, electric heat is "renewable" or "green" but at what price?  Typically
electricity is the most expensive way to heat an area, unless you're using
something like a heat pump.  But they don't work well below 40 deg.  You
shop is bigger than my house (about 1600sqft) and my electric bill averages
to $207 / mo (all electric - water heater, clothes dryer, and heat pump).

What about a wood burning stove?

 >I had been debating on immediately going with a permanent installation with
 >some kind of overhead infrared heaters but someone I work with suggested
 >that I buy one or two free standing pole type units (typically
about 15000 btu or
 >4500 watts) and give them a try before making a decision of a more permanent
 >nature.  After thinking about it Im inclined to agree that I
should try portable
 >units first and if I like them either stick with them or upgrade to a more
 >permanent solution at a later date.

That sounds like a smart idea, especially if the temp. units are cheaper than
an installed unit.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229