[Shop-talk] Brake bleeding failure

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Brake bleeding failure
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 12:46:53 -0400
Just thought I'd tell you all what happened when I used my homemade
pressure bleeder on my MG Magnette last night.  I completed the right
rear wheel, no problem.  As I moved to the left rear wheel I think,
what's that sound like it's raining?  And why is it coming from under
the car?  And what is that giant puddle?  On the MG, the master
cylinder has a small round cap.  You remove that to reveal a hole for
adding fluid. That's where you attach the pressure bleeder.  The
whole top of the master cylinder is bolted on to the
assembly.  Apparently, the gasket under that top was not up to the
task of containing pressure and it failed, resulting in a brake fluid
lake.  The only good news is that this car uses silicone brake fluid,
so there was no paint damage, just a big mess.  I wasn't using what I
consider to be unreasonable pressure.  It's just that a very old
gasket that usually doesn't see any pressure was suddenly asked to
handle some, and it wasn't up to the task.  The old up and down on
the brake pedal method is starting to sound better about now.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums