Re: [Shop-talk] Toilets

To: Ron Olds <rolds@plausa.com>, Shop Talk List
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Toilets
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:33:08 -0500
Ron Olds wrote:
> I would like to ask the group for advise on toilets.  I am always amazed
> at the amount of knowledge out there when it comes to about anything.

Glad you asked.  There is only one thing you need to know:  TOTO makes
awesome toilets!  All others suck.  Yeah, even Koheler (sp?) and other
expensive stuff.  Sub $100 "builder grade" toilets from big-box stores
REALLY SUCK.

What's Toto?  Originally a Japanese plumbing manufacturer, they have a
huge plant and corporate offices near Atlanta, and other manufacturing
all over the world.  Their products are actually engineered to work,
conserve water, and last (!!!) rather than to be the cheapest thing a
contractor can install in a new house.

Check out this Seattle area plumber's web site for good info.  The
forums have lots of reviews and discussion on toilets, and initially it
seems like "TMI" but you quickly realize it's good info you need to
consider when buying important fixtures you'll be using every day  ;)
http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm
http://www.terrylove.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

My ca 2001 house had American Standard toilets.  They were made in
Guatemala and had no standard parts.  They broke, clogged, stained and
were generally junk.  This time 2008 I started shopping for
replacements, and very thankfully did not buy the Koheler at Lowes.

I have a Toto Soiree in the master batch.  Expensive (~$550) but I
needed a short non-standard rough in which limited choices.  Other bath
has the Toto Gwyneth, now renamed "Drake II" which is now their
mainstream home toilet that you can buy for about $350.  Probably good
for your application.  Uses a 1.28 gallon flush, and flushes SO much
better than other toilets using more.  And the cyclone bowl with no rim
holes in easy to clean.

The list prices may look steep, but you can get them for about 40% off
with a little haggling.  And lots of places sell them on ebay.  Would be
glad to give ya more info, but I gotta get to work.

-Wayne