[Shop-talk] Maximum speed with a limited use spare

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Maximum speed with a limited use spare
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:16:58 -0500
I am writing this from a hotel in Harrisburg, PA.  My wife and I are driving
her BMW 323 to Eastern Long Island and had a flat tire today.  That isn't a
big deal as we are close to needing new tires on the car anyway.  I will
probably just order a new set from TireRack and have them delivered to where
we are staying.  However, we still have 275 miles to our destination and the
spare says not to exceed 50 MPH.  I am not sure which is more dangerous:
exceeding the maximum speed on the tire or driving 50 on the NJ Turnpike and
Long Island Expressway.  I assume the 50 MPH sticker on the tire is primarily
there for liability protection.  Does anyone know what a reasonable safe speed
would be with this tire?  I promise not to sue you if you are wrong.  The
spare is on the rear, assuming that makes a difference.