Re: [Shop-talk] garage expansion gets green light

To: Patton Dickson <57healey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] garage expansion gets green light
From: koblinger@verizon.net
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:48:37 -0500 (CDT)
I'm just finishing up on a new 20'x40' garage. A less than optimal size
but it was the best I could do with the code restrictions I was faced
with.

My suggestions. I put in a couple of opening skylights for light and
ventilation. Utilities. At least two runs each of RG-6 cable, Cat-5e (or
Cat-6) for network and Cat-3 or Cat-5e for voice. Mine are going
underground from the house in 2" conduits. And, when you pull the
cables, pull a pull string and leave it in place. That will make it much
easier if you decide to pull any more cable. Garage door opener. I got
one of the small wall mount openers that attaches to the jackshaft. In
fact it was installed yesterday. It's about the best thing since sliced
bread! Just a little bigger than a shoe box and quiet.  I'm also pouring
a 10'x20' concrete pad behind the garage where the shed for garden tools
will go as well as a potting bench for the wife. I used scissor trusses
for more vertical clearance and an open ceiling but had everything
painted white to reflect light and to seal it all.

Cheers,
Kurt O.