Re: [Shop-talk] Dimmable CFLs at Home Depot

To: "'Shop Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dimmable CFLs at Home Depot
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:43:32 -0800
> What's a good source of reasonably-priced well-made ballasts? I assume you
> are replacing magnetic ones with electronic ones.

I don't recall the exact price offhand, but I've been getting them at Home
Depot.  Checked some other sources and HD was the best.  They do come up on
eBay from time to time, but on the rare occasions when they are what I want
(two F96T12 bulbs, 120v electronic), the prices are no better than HD.

Not a whole lot cheaper than a new fixture (there isn't much else to a
fixture), but a bit.  And installing an 8' fixture overhead by yourself is a
bit of a challenge (especially with cars and/or equipment under it), I'd
rather change the ballast.  No doubt I'd save money in the long run by
converting to T8 fixtures, but I want to use up my case of T12s first <G>

The electronic ballasts don't use the switches built into the lamp sockets,
so the wiring is a bit different.  I just join the wires together, as that's
easier than tying them back.

Randall