Re: [Shop-talk] Dimmable CFLs at Home Depot

To: "shop-talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dimmable CFLs at Home Depot
From: "Mullen, J T (IT)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:08:42 -0600
> I've heard or read that CFL do not like heat.
>
> They last longer when pointed up instead of pointing down
> like from a ceiling light fixture.

I remember reading about this a while back.

They make two kinds, of CFLs - ones meant to point up, and ones meant to
point down.  Unfortunately, the "point down" ones are hard to find (and
more expensive if you do find them).  It has to do with the electronics
packed in the base, and the heat traveling "up".

One problem I have with CFLs is the base.  I have a garage door opener
with sockets for a light bulb on each side.  I'd like to put CFLs in
them, but the socket has a tappered opening that confirms to a normal
bulb - the CFLs won't screw into them and make contact.  I've looked for
a short extension - some thing to screw into the socket that the CFL
then screws into, but so far no luck.  I have a couple of "pull string"
sockets that I'll use, but they extend the assembly out to far -
allowing for more vibrations and preventing the cover from fitting...

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA