Re: [Shop-talk] Dimmable CFLs at Home Depot

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dimmable CFLs at Home Depot
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:52:33 -0500
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 8:46 PM, Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com> wrote:
> I wouldn't consider a garage door opener to be a good application for CF
bulbs. B When the door opens, you want the illumination right away, instead of
having to wait a minute for a CF bulb to reach a reasonable brightness.
B Also, I can't imagine a garage door opener light being on for more than 15
minutes a day, so it would take a long time for the CF to pay for itself.

Good CFLs are at full brightness in much less time than a minute.  And
they're putting out light instantly.  (I have CFLs in my garage door
openers because the plastic case of the one I replaced last year was
charred and melted.  It never had a bulb brighter than 60W in it,
either.  The replacement opener (which is nearly identical, but 10
years newer) had a metal sticker behind the bulb.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com