Re: [Shop-talk] Engine swaps; 350 SBC donor cars.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Engine swaps; 350 SBC donor cars.
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:49:22 -0800
> You can get LS1's (3rd gen small block) out of lots of stuff I think,
> but the common candidates would be camaros/firebirds & corvettes.

Don't forget all the pickups, especially if ultimate power output (lots
of 5.3s in the trucks) and weight (they were iron blocks until a couple
years ago, they're all aluminum now IIRC) aren't critical.

> The camaro/firebird would need to be a '98+ and would have a T56 six
> speed conventional trans.

Or an automatic, which I think is what he was chasing.  The pickups will
all be automatics.

> IIRC.  LT1s are iron head motors, and weigh a little more than the ls1.

I thought the LT1s had iron blocks but aluminum heads.  The old SBC is
typically about 50lb more than the iron-block truck LSn's, and 100lb
more than the aluminum-block ones.   The LSn-family engines also tend to
have really nice pretty compact front-end accessory drives.

> If you want to keep it "in the family" (sorta) I've got a complete '89
> (?? I think) Ford 302 HO out of a Mustang GT that I've been tripping on
> that I'd sell you for $250...

I might buy it if you were a thousand miles closer.

John.