Re: [Shop-talk] Spark plugs in regular cars

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Spark plugs in regular cars
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:13:15 -0500
Karl Vacek wrote:
> Since plain old OEM plugs seem to hold up so well nowadays that's my usual
> choice.  Is there any other advantage to platinums besides life ?

Platinums, etc last longer but do not perform any better.  On my
4-cylinder Nissans, they were trivial to get to.  So I preferred to by
plain ones (NGK for < $2.00/ea) and replace them more frequently.  If
labor is an issue, I'd get the fancy ones.

> Is there anything new in plugs that's worthwhile ?  I saw some
> double-side-electrode plugs at one of the chain parts stores the other day
> (don't remember the brand).  They looked like aviation massive-electrode

Some opinons and wisdom from the Nissan guys:
http://www.se-r.net/engine/platinum_copper_ngk.html
http://www.se-r.net/engine/ignition.html
http://www.se-r.net/engine/specialty_spark_plugs.html

I'm a big fan of NGK.  They seem to have an unusual ability to just run
at the correct heat, and are very tolerant of different driving styles
and conditions.

> The cars - 1999 Ford Mustang Cobra with a DOHC 4.6 L, and 2005 Yukon with a
> 6.0 L

I'm sure there are Mustang sites out there with info on what works well.
  Dunno about GMC.

   -Wayne