Re: [Shop-talk] Spark plugs in regular cars

To: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Spark plugs in regular cars
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 18:35:48 -0500
On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Karl Vacek <kvacek@ameritech.net> wrote:
> Time to replace spark plugs in the everyday cars.  Close to 60K on each and
> never missed a beat since we've had them, but it seems like a good idea - and
> yes, I've regretted that statement before   =8~0
>
> Since plain old OEM plugs seem to hold up so well nowadays that's my usual
> choice.  Is there any other advantage to platinums besides life ?

Both the cars you're working on have platinum plugs from the factory.
(Well, they're likely iridium or yttrium or palladium, but the idea is
the same.)  Use what the factory used.  Make sure you get the correct
part number; modern spark plugs are pre-gapped (check them, and return
them if they're wrong, though) and are not adjustable.  (The
electrondes break)

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com