Re: [Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts
From: Trevor Boicey <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:08:38 -0400
Jim Stone wrote:
> There is an auto shop closing about a mile from my house and they are selling
> their 10,000 lb commercial lift.  It is far more than I will ever need, but
> they are currently asking $1000 and need it gone by tomorrow, so they would
> probably take less.

   Measure it first, and compare to a residential lift.

   I also chased a few commercial lifts until I realized how much larger
they were. (these were four posts)

   The extra width is nice in theory, but it takes up a lot of the next
parking spot and would have been problematic.

   The residential lifts are generally narrow enough to use one typical
home garage bay, and not intrude on the next one.