Re: [Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts

To: jandkstone99@msn.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts
From: George P Dausch IV <gpd4@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:59:21 -0400
Buy the lift.  It is probably an excellent opportunity.  You have two
options for the floor.  #1 is to saw cut a rectangle and pour that
section deeper after doing the calculations to size it.  However, if it
were me doing it for myself without anyone to answer to or create a
liability situation, I would do the following:  #1, drill a hole in the
floor where each post is going.  Carefully and slowly to determine how
thick the floor really is.  It could just as easily be 5" as 3" thick.
#2, If it is at least 4", then buy some 1/2" steel plate and weld it to
the bottom of the lift to make a larger base plate.  As long as the load
is spread in the floor to minimize a concentrated point load, you will be
fine.  Locate the new anchor bolts further apart and you're good to go.
GPD4