Re: [Shop-talk] Dryer vents?

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dryer vents?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 17:21:59 -0700
> What kind of dryer vent hose do you have? How does one connect a ridged
> vent
> pipe in a situation such as mine?????

In my case, the dryer installation instructions warn not to use plastic vent
within 24" of the (gas) dryer.  Seems unlikely to be a problem to me, since
the same air that heats the exhaust is going through your clothes, and
hopefully they aren't getting hot enough to melt plastic.

But I put a metal elbow on the dryer outlet and 24" of metal vent, held
together with large hose clamps.  The metal line runs behind the hot water
heater, where it joins with the usual flexible plastic line that runs
through the wall and into the (unheated) garage.

To pull the dryer out for cleaning or service, I kind of rotate it so it
pulls on the plastic, then push it back.  So far (about 20 years), lint
buildup in the line has not been a problem.

Lint in the garage was kind of a mess, so I stuck a pair of ladies nylon
pantyhose on the end of the vent.  Every few years I pull off the nearly
full pantyhose and replace them.

At least so far, the clerk at the grocery store has never wondered why I buy
queen-size pantyhose, when my wife is definitely petite <G>

Randall