Re: [Shop-talk] Dryer vents?

To: Battmain <battmain@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dryer vents?
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 15:22:54 -0400
On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Battmain <battmain@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On my list of things to do is clean the dryer pipe at a
> friends house.  It exits from behind the dryer using a short flex
> hose to a short hard pipe though the drywall. From that short
> pipe it goes vertical to inside roof. Then slanted vertical to
> the outside roof. Right now as part of the troubleshooting,
> a small length of flex hose exits to a 5 gallon bucket of water.
> The short length of pipe that I've been able to look at had lots
> of built up lint, so I doubt that it would be any better than flex
> pipe. It was smooth inside compared to the corrogated flex
> hose, which IMO, had less build up than pipe. I don't know
> how long it has been since it was cleaned, but before I put
> the shop vac to it, The lint build up was about 1/2 inch thick
> in the pipe and less in the flex hose. I'm waiting another month
> or two before I tackle the hard pipe in the roof.

The problem is that the exhaust loses energy as moves around the bends
and lengths of the pipe.  Until a few months ago, our dryer was
against the west side of an interior wall.  The vent was a piece of
flex hose, to the wall.  then up between the studs of the wall.  It
made a 90 degree bend to run east between two joists for about six
feet, then another 90 degree bend to run north for about ten feet, to
the exterior wall.  The dryer has never worked well, and the laundry
room has always been full of dust.  I discovered that the joint
between the flex hose and the run in the wall was an elbow that wasn't
actually attached to the pipe in the wall.  (I think it was when it
was new, though.)  the whole length of the pipe was plugged with lint,
the space between the studs in the wall as well.  We moved the dryer
to be on the wall with the exterior vent.  The piping is now about 10
feet of good quality flexible piping, taped with good aluminum ducting
tape (not duck tape, eh?) and the laundry room is so much cleaner, you
don't sneeze walking in, and the dryer actually does something.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com