Re: [Shop-talk] creative moving/packing ideas

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] creative moving/packing ideas
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 00:04:54 -0400
Brad Kahler wrote:
> Jon, in the neck of woods I live in I don't think I want any of the
> local kids helping out.  While we haven't had a problem with vandalism

Somethin' else I should have mentioned:  every town has major shipping
and moving companies.  The trucks and drivers go all over the country.
But the movers themselves are local crews that only work locally.  While
they would love to have you pay thousands to do the whole job, they also
like to keep their crews busy.  You can usually call up and say "I need
to hire a two man crew for 2 - 3 hours to pack my truck for a
residential move" and they are happy to supply the labor at very good
rates.  This was a suggestion from my uncle who has moved way to often.

I boxed all my stuff, rented a Ryder truck, and had made arrangements
with a company.  Two guys came out, emptied the whole house in 2 hours,
professionally packed the truck and tied things down... and [drum roll]
changed me $150!  MONEY VERY WELL SPENT!  My friends and I are middle
aged-ish and just not up for this crap like the college days.  The
movers didn't scratch anything, and were insured if they did!

On the new house end, I have a 3 floor house with lots of stairs built
on the side of a 50ft slope, so the crew we found wanted $315 to unpack.
  Still a bargain.

Keep all your receipts for your moving expenses ('cept meals, that's
your expense);  if you itemize you can deduct them on your taxes, though
usually the 2nd year you've been in the place.

   -Wayne