Re: [Shop-talk] creative moving/packing ideas

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] creative moving/packing ideas
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 10:47:01 -0400
Paul wrote:
>> <<I'm looking for creative ideas on what kind of boxing/packing ideas you
>> might have.  So far I've considered plastic totes, 55 gallon drums,
>> cardboard boxes, wood crates, etc.>>

All us shop guys tend to be hellacious pack rats.  Moving is a
~wonderful time~ to sift through all your accumulated crap, asking
yourself "do I REALLY need this thing I haven't touched in 5 (or 10, or
20) years" and discard it if appropriate.  YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID.
Especially with scrap metal prices as high as they are.

The scrap metal place here is paying $11.50/100lbs "mixed metal",
including cars, major appliances, etc.  $0.80 to $1.00/lb for "clean
aluminum, including cans".  And nearly $4.00/lb for copper and maybe brass.

Lowes has nice industrial-style plastic totes that are stackable and
nestable and fairly strong.  The liquor store has really beefy cardboard
boxes with handy dividers.  Grocery store boxes usually means going in
at 4am while they're stocking, then you'll find the boxes for boxed
goods do not have a full top & bottom in them.  Check you local
CraigsList.org for moving supplies, often under the "free" section.

   -Wayne