Re: [Shop-talk] air fttings

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] air fttings
From: "Matt" <mbarre@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 16:51:49 GMT
Thanks for all the replies.  I ultimately found that HF did in fact show some
3/8 fittings, you just had to be very particular in how you searched...
Ultimately the logic of simply sticking with one in light of the minimal
benefit of the larger fitting prevailed and I am sticking with all 1/4".
I did learn something about the differences in fittings from all this
though...  T, U, I/M, etc.  I didn't realize there was such variability.
Thanks again,
Matt

-- "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Mullen, Tim <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com> wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>>
>> I am also thinking about converting my 1/4" fittings to 3/8".
>> I currently have a mix and it can be frustrating getting things
>> matched up so I am looking to reduce one variable...
>
> It's always good to pick one standard and stick with it.
>
> The difference between air flow for 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch fittings is
> very, very small.  If you have a lot of 1/4 inch fittings, I'd consider
> changing the 3/8 fittings so save money.
>
> I went pondered this change some time back.  That's when I found a nice
> chart that showed the pressure/flow loss for the different fittings.  At
> typical compressor values, it isn't much difference - using a 10 foot
> shorter hose would probably make a bigger difference in flow.  Along
> those lines, a larger diameter air hose make much more difference than
> the diameter of the fittings at the ends of the hose.
>
> I decided to just go with the normal 1/4 fittings, simply because they
> are the most common and easiest to find.

Another thing to consider is that 3/8 fittings aren't supposed be
undone under pressure.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

Click here to find experienced pros to help with your home improvement
project.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3nHrlmDhdKtctxmyRcoG15REE3t
kaNEd53GP8avJrUxQWIDs/