[Shop-talk] Quality parts

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Quality parts
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 18:09:46 -0400
At 04:42 PM 10/5/2007 -0400, David Scheidt wrote:

>Quality is not a concern of most major retailers.  They're much more
>concerned with making money.  If they decide that they can do that by
>selling crap, and charging non-crap prices for it, that's what they do.

On the same subject, has anyone noticed the quality of aftermarket auto
parts.  Do you think it's junk?  Should you go to the discount dealers for
the OEM parts.

I bought an 84 Honda Accord new.  It took almost 20 years and over 120,000
for things to fail, like the 1/2 shafts and alternator.  I bought, what I
thought was decient, parts from the aftermarket box store suppliers, AutoZone,
Advanced, etc.

The replacement 1/2 shafts only lasted about 2 years as did the alternator.
In the last 4 to 5 years, I've replaced the 1/2 shafts twice, and the
alternator twice.

I'm beginning to there that there really is something to the OEM parts!
But sometimes I just can't accept the price, like $380 for a Honda alternator.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic